Registering a Newborn Child

If the child is born outside Russia

If a child is born outside of the Russian Federation, the HQS staff member shall send a scan of their passport and the child’s birth certificate to their coordinator. The birth certificate must be validated (legalized) as per set procedures for the specific country (e.g., *reciprocal recognition of documents, *apostille, and *consular certification).

More information can be found at this page.

HSE University staff will process visa invitations as per set procedures.

If the child is born on the territory of the Russian Federation

Obtain a birth certificate

The registration of the births of children of foreign citizens, residing in the Russian Federation, shall be carried out as per set procedure. According to Art. 15 of the Federal Law “About Registration of Births, Deaths, and Marriages”, state registration of a child’s birth shall be carried out by an official registration office at the location of the child’s birth or the residence of one of the parents.  

To obtain a birth certificate for a newborn after release from the maternity hospital, you may request one from:

  • the local Multifunctional Public Services Centre;
  • at the district office of the Vital Statistics Registration Office (“ZAGS”) for the area where the parents are registered or at their place of residence (if they have obtained temporary or permanent residency). You must contact the local ZAGS office directly to confirm what documents are required. A list of ZAGS offices in Moscow can be viewed here.

Make sure that you have the following documents:

  • a document drawn up in the appropriate format about a child’s birth, issued by the medical institution where he/she was born;
  • the passport of one of the parents with a notarized translation in Russian;
  • the marriage certificate of the parents, certified as per set procedures, with a notarized translation in Russian.

! As per Art. 7 of the Federal Law “About Registration of Births, Deaths, and Marriages”, the documents of foreign citizens and/or stateless persons, issued by the respective bodies of foreign states and submitted for state registration of births, deaths, and marriages, should be validated (legalized) as per established procedures for specific countries (*mutual recognition of documents, *apostille, *consular certification), if otherwise not specified by international agreements, to which the Russian Federation is a signatory, and translated into Russian.  The accuracy of the translation must be officially notarized.

To receive a marriage certificate, foreign citizens may enquire with the following bodies (as per prior appointment):

  • Consular Department of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at: 12 Pervy Neopalimovsky pereulok; further contacts can be found at this link;
  • Local “My Documents” Multifunctional Public Services Centre located at:
    • 119 Prospekt Mira ulitsa, bd. 71;
    • 2 Presnenskaya Naberezhnaya;
    • 1 Novoyasenevsky Prospekt;
    • 13a Kirovogradskaya ulitsa;
    • 75 Schelkovskoye Shosse;
    • 2 Ryazansky Prospekt, Korpus 3;
    • 16a Leningradskoye Shosse, bd. 8.
  • If the child does not have a middle name/patronymic, you must provide a certificate from your embassy/consulate attesting to this fact.

If the parents of a child are unmarried, they must fill in an application for the issue of a birth certificate for their child (forms can be filled in at this link), as well as a request to established paternity, and pay the respective state duty. These documents , together with the parents’ passports, should be notarized with translations of the passports and documents confirming the child’s birth, and thus shall be submitted to one of the My Documents offices, the Novofedorovsky office of ZAGS (state registration of births, deaths, and marriages) or at a ZAGS office in Moscow. We recommend that you call ahead to confirm if it is possible to register your child’s birth and arrange a visit.

Obtain a passport of the newborn child

To obtain a passport for a newborn child, who is a foreign citizen, his/her parents must go to the embassy/consulate of their citizenship in Russia and confirm the list of documents, terms and timeframes for issuing the child a passport.  

Obtain a transit visa

A child born in the Russian Federation may remain in the country without a visa for an unlimited period. If the child needs to leave Russia, at least 10 working days prior to their departure, his/her parents/guardians must submit the following documents to the Ministry of Internal Affairs for the issue of a transit visa:

  1. a birth certificate (original and copy);
  2. the parents’ documents (visa, passport, migration card, registration slip);
  3. state duty for the issue of a transit visa (only provided upon a direct request filed with the HSE University Visa and Registration Centre).
  4. tickets with a departure date at least 10 working days prior to the submission of documents for a transit visa.

For further information, please contact the Visa and Registration Centre at