International Faculty Members at HSE Day 2019
The HSE University held its traditional festival – on September 05, 2019, the HSE Day in Gorky Park was hosted for the 8th time.
“To Infinity and Beyond!” was the slogan of the festival, and this phrase truly characterized the events within the HSE Day.
One of the popular locations was the HSE Open Talks which were held in Garage Museum for the first time this year. The International Faculty members took an opportunity to deliver speeches on their research, proving the wide scope of scientific topics at the University:
- “Sweet enemies: Understanding the EU and Russia’s troubled relationship” by Dr Iain Ferguson, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences
- “Auctions and Market Inefficiencies” by Dr Emiliano Catonini, Assistant Professor, ICEF (International College of Economics and Finance)
- “Talking about academia in crisis” by Dr Jan Surman, Research Fellow, Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities
- “The X-ray View of the Sky” by Dr Natalia Lyskova, Research Fellow, Faculty of Physics
- “Does Environmental Policy Really Work?” by Dr Tim Jaekel, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences
- “Tigers, Diamonds, and Rio Tinto: environmental mobilizations against extractive capital in Central India” by Dr Arnab Roy Chowdhury, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences
Another popular English-speaking zone was the Russian Tearoom. The guests took part in quizzes of various levels on Russian culture; successful participants tasted traditional Russian treats accompanied by tea. Apart from that, the guests could also participate in the workshop on playing wooden spoons – this musical instrument was part of the ancient Rus culture many centuries ago and is used in ethnic Russian music nowadays.A schedule of upcoming events involving HSE’s International Faculty can be found at this page.