The Research Fund can be used for:
- Academic mobility: travel grants and inviting visiting academics;
- Hiring research assistants;
- Acquiring research materials, equipment and services.
New! For your convenience, we have improved the application format and now accept your requests via online form. Below you can find forms for different purposes, including travel, research assistants, materials and services.
Purpose of the Research Fund
HSE University has various services to provide support to effective, high-quality research. If something (e.g., research materials, equipment, services, travel support, research assistance, etc.) cannot be provided through standard procedures, internationally recruited HSE University faculty members (normally tenure-track professors) can apply to receive resources from the Research Fund by providing substantial reasons to receive such support and complying with procurement regulations.
Who is eligible?
Financial support for academic mobility and research can be provided with resources from the Research Fund to internationally recruited HSE University faculty. The maximum amounts available, as well as the terms for allocation from the Research Fund, are stated in individual employment agreements and HSE University’s internal bylaws.
Terms and conditions
- Funds are allocated proportionally to the number of months in the current calendar year;
- Funds cannot be transferred to the following calendar year. Unclaimed funds cannot be used;
- Materials and equipment should be returned to the University after the termination of a contract with HSE University;
- Financial support cannot be granted within the last 3 months of one’s contract with HSE University;
- Requests for using the Research Fund can be submitted throughout the calendar year. However, due to various regulations, the HSE Accounting Office cannot accept reporting documents after established deadlines. Please make sure that you plan any expenses beforehand.
To avoid any misunderstandings, we strongly recommend contacting your coordinator and the International Faculty Support Centre at email@example.com before applying to use the Research Fund.
Academic Mobility: Travel Grants
Travel support can be used to cover:
- registration fees;
- visa expenses;
- local transportation;
- health insurance.
This type of support is offered to encourage the presentation of ongoing research. HSE University recognizes that participation in international conferences, seminars and projects that requires travel for collaboration with co-authors on articles, books or other joint research is important in order to publish results in top peer-reviewed scientific journals and the global academic press.
Please make sure that you include your correct affiliation with HSE University in papers and presentations. If you are in any doubt on the correct way to do this, please visit this page.
For more information, please see Business Trip Regulations of National Research University Higher School of Economics.
How to fund your business trip:
- A request form should be completed at least 30 days prior to the intended date of travel. Please make sure to preliminary receive a confirmation of your business trip plans from your supervisor and an invitation letter from inviting party. These documents are strictly needed for a request form;
- The International Faculty Support Centre will consult with the Accounting Office and confirm whether the required amount of funding corresponds to the available budget of the Research Fund;
- A travel assignment form is then processed by a faculty coordinator. Based on this document, a business trip directive can be issued. The process for formalizing a business trip usually takes up to 2 week;
- Please make sure that you collect the original copies of the reporting documents (for a complete list of documents, please visit: https://ifaculty.hse.ru/trips);
- The reporting documents (with a translation into Russian) shall be submitted to the Accounting Office as soon as possible after the staff member’s return – preferably on the day of their arrival. The official deadline for submitting the documents for reimbursement to the Accounting Office is within 3 business days after returning from a business trip. Please contact a faculty coordinator(s) for assistance.
Academic Mobility: Visiting Academics
An internationally recruited HSE University faculty member (tenure-track and tenured) can invite academics for research-oriented visits to HSE University by using the resources of the Research Fund. Furthermore, resources from the HSE University Visiting Scholar and HSE Univesrity Teaching Excellence Initiative can be used to fund academic visits.
Since the main purpose of such visits is research, visitors are expected to present and discuss their current and/or recent research with HSE faculty members, as well as collaborate with them as co-authors. The expected outcome should be the publication of research results in English in international peer-reviewed journals with a high impact factor.
The following expenses can be covered:
Main steps to fund and organise your colleague's research visit:
- A request form should be completed at least 45 days prior to the intended date of arrival of your colleague. Please make sure to plan the dates of a visit in accordance with the 45 day period indicated earlier because it includes the time spent on the visa formalities for the visitor;
- The International Faculty Support Centre will consult with the Accounting Office and confirm whether the required amount of funding corresponds to the available budget in the Research Fund;
- A faculty coordinator will help to arrange a visa invitation, travel and accommodation support for the invited academic. Please bear in mind that funding cannot be allocated from the Research Fund to cover accommodation at HSE University Guest Houses;
- A faculty coordinator will arrange an independent contractor agreement between HSE University and the organization responsible for booking and purchasing tickets and accommodation, and arranging transfers;
- All reporting documents and other documents in line with procurement procedures rules shall be submitted to the Accounting Office within the appropriate timelines.
Research assistants can help tenure-track and tenured HSE University faculty members to carry out original research intended for publication in international peer-reviewed scientific journals. Research assistants should work under their mentors’ supervision.
Internationally recruited HSE University faculty members are welcome to recruit research assistants among graduate and undergraduate students at HSE, HSE junior researchers and managers of laboratories and research centres.
How to hire a research assistant:
- The topic, framework and scope of the research should be discussed with the potential research assistant beforehand;
- A request form should be completed at least 10 days prior the start of the proposed contract;
- The International Faculty Support Centre shall consult with the Accounting Office and confirm whether the required amount of funding corresponds to the available budget for the Research Fund;
- A faculty coordinator will process an independent contractor agreement with the research assistant. The process to formalize the contract may take up to 2 weeks;
- The research assistant will receive reimbursement in accordance with an acceptance-delivery certificate.
Please mind that reimbursement can only be transfered to a bank card of the 'MIR' ("МИР") payment system.
What amount will be deducted from the Research Fund?
The amount spent on remuneration + Unified Social Tax (27.1%/22%).
What amount shall a research assistant receive?
After-tax remuneration depends on a research assistant’s tax residency status (13% or 30%).
When can requests be submitted?
Requests may be submitted throughout the calendar year. However, please bear in mind the deadline for submitting acceptance-delivery certificates to the Accounting Office – December 10.
How many research assistants can be hired?
There are no restrictions with respect to the number of research assistants, provided that resources are available in the Research Fund.
Research Materials, Equipment and Services
If HSE University is not in possession of certain materials, equipment or services required for research activities, an internationally recruited HSE University tenure-track or tenured faculty member can submit a request for their purchase as per Russian legislation and HSE University’s internal bylaws.
If a given item cannot be purchased, as stated in an official rejection letter from the responsible HSE unit, it can be purchased out of one’s own funds.
Please make sure that you consult the responsible HSE University unit and the Accounting Office before purchasing the materials.
We recommend planning expenses well in advance because purchase and reimbursement procedure are time-consuming. If needed, you may contact a faculty coordinator for assistance.
|Research materials, equipment and services||Recommended request deadlines||Estimated request processing time||Responsible HSE University Unit|
|November 1||6 weeks||HSE Library|
||Purchase: 6 weeks; delivery: 2-4 months|
||October 1||2-4 months|
|October 1||2-4 months||HSE Information Technology Office|
Before completing a request:
- A faculty coordinator shall send a request for purchasing required materials, equipment or services to the responsible unit at HSE University (e.g. Library, Information Technology Office);
- The responsible HSE University unit shall reply with a rejection/approval letter in regards to the purchase.
In accordance with the reply:
|Research materials, equipment or services shall be purchased via the responsible HSE University unit with resources from the Research Fund. The procedure can take up to 2-4 months in compliance with procurement regulations.||Research materials, equipment or services shall be purchased with one’s personal funds and reimbursed from the Research Fund. The reimbursement process can take up to 2-4 months.|
|To formalize the procedure of the purchase:||To obtain the reimbursement, please make sure you stick to the following procedure:|