The Research Fund can be used for:
- Academic mobility: travel grants
- Academic mobility: visiting academics
- Hiring research assistants
- Acquiring research materials, equipment and services
Purpose of the Research Fund
HSE has various services to provide support to effective, high-quality research. If something (e.g., research materials, equipment, services, travel support, research assistance, etc.) cannot be provided through standard procedures, internationally recruited HSE faculty members (normally tenure-track professors) can apply to receive resources from the Research Fund by:
- providing substantial reasons to receive such support;
- complying with procurement regulations.
Who is eligible?
Financial support for academic mobility and research can be provided with resources from the Research Fund to internationally recruited HSE faculty. The maximum amounts available, as well as the terms for allocation from the Research Fund, are stated in individual employment agreements and HSE’s internal bylaws.
Terms and conditions
- Funds are allocated proportionally to the number of months in the current calendar year;
- Funds cannot be transferred to the following calendar year. Unclaimed funds cannot be used;
- Materials and equipment should be returned to the University after the termination of a contract with HSE;
- Financial support cannot be granted within the last 3 months of one’s contract with HSE;
- Requests for using the Research Fund can be submitted throughout the calendar year. However, due to various regulations, the HSE Accounting Office cannot accept reporting documents after established deadlines. Please make sure that you plan any expenses beforehand.
To avoid any misunderstandings, we strongly recommend contacting your coordinator and the International Faculty Support Unit at email@example.com before applying to use the Research Fund.
Travel support can be used to cover:
- registration fees;
- visa expenses;
- local transportation;
- health insurance.
This type of support is offered to encourage the presentation of ongoing research. HSE recognizes that participation in international conferences, seminars and projects that requires travel for collaboration with co-authors on articles, books or other joint research is important in order to publish results in top peer-reviewed scientific journals and the global academic press.
Please make sure that you include your correct affiliation with HSE in papers and presentations. If you are in any doubt on the correct way to do this, please visit this page.
For more information, please see Business Trip Regulations of National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- A completed request for a travel grant with a confirmation from a direct supervisor (e.g. an e-mail) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests must be sent at least 30 days prior to the intended date of travel;
- The International Faculty Support Unit will consult with the Accounting Office and confirm whether the required amount of funding corresponds to the available budget of the Research Fund;
- A travel assignment form is then processed by a faculty coordinator. Based on this document, a business trip directive can be issued. The process for formalizing a business trip usually takes up to 2 week;
- Please make sure that you collect the original copies of the reporting documents (for a complete list of documents, please visit: https://ifaculty.hse.ru/trips);
- The reporting documents (with a translation into Russian) shall be submitted to the Accounting Office as soon as possible after the staff member’s return – preferably on the day of their arrival. The official deadline for submitting the documents for reimbursement to the Accounting Office is within 3 business days after returning from a business trip. Please contact a faculty coordinator(s) for assistance.
At the end of the calendar year, please make sure that you submit the reporting documents no later than December 10 or it will be reimbursed out of the next year’s budget.
For more detailed information, please see the page dedicated to the business trips.
An internationally recruited HSE faculty member (tenure-track and tenured) can invite academics for research-oriented visits to HSE by using the resources of the Research Fund. Furthermore, resources from the HSE Visiting Scholar and HSE Teaching Excellence Initiative can be used to fund academic visits.
Since the main purpose of such visits is research, visitors are expected to present and discuss their current and/or recent research with HSE faculty members, as well as collaborate with them as co-authors. The expected outcome should be the publication of research results in English in international peer-reviewed journals with a high impact factor.
The following expenses can be covered:
- A completed request form for inviting an academic should be sent to email@example.com. This request should be sent at least 45 days prior to the intended date of arrival of this person. Please make sure to plan the dates of a visit in accordance with the 45 day period indicated earlier because it includes the time spent on the visa formalities for the visitor;
- The International Faculty Support Unit will consult with the Accounting Office and confirm whether the required amount of funding corresponds to the available budget in the Research Fund;
- A faculty coordinator will help to arrange a visa invitation, travel and accommodation support for the invited academic. Please bear in mind that funding cannot be allocated from the Research Fund to cover accommodation at HSE Guest Houses;
- A faculty coordinator will arrange an independent contractor agreement between HSE and the organization responsible for booking and purchasing tickets and accommodation, and arranging transfers;
- All reporting documents and other documents in line with procurement procedures rules shall be submitted to the Accounting Office within the appropriate timelines.
Research assistants can help tenure-track and tenured HSE faculty members to carry out original research intended for publication in international peer-reviewed scientific journals. Research assistants should work under their mentors’ supervision.
Internationally recruited HSE faculty members can recruit research assistants among:
- graduate and undergraduate students at HSE;
- HSE junior researchers;
- managers of laboratories and research centres.
- The topic, framework and scope of the research should be discussed with the potential research assistant beforehand;
- A completed request form for hiring a research assistant should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should be sent at least 10 days prior the start of the proposed contract;
- The International Faculty Support Unit shall consult with the Accounting Office and confirm whether the required amount of funding corresponds to the available budget for the Research Fund.
- A faculty coordinator will process an independent contractor agreement with the research assistant. The process to formalize the contract may take up to 2 weeks;
- The research assistant will receive reimbursement in accordance with an acceptance-delivery certificate.
What amount will be deducted from the Research Fund?
The amount spent on remuneration + Unified Social Tax (27.1%/22%).
What amount shall a research assistant receive?
After-tax remuneration depends on a research assistant’s tax residency status (13% or 30%).
When can requests be submitted?
Requests may be submitted throughout the calendar year. However, please bear in mind the deadline for submitting acceptance-delivery certificates to the Accounting Office – December 10.
How many research assistants can be hired?
There are no restrictions with respect to the number of research assistants, provided that resources are available in the Research Fund.
If HSE is not in possession of certain materials, equipment or services required for research activities, an internationally recruited HSE tenure-track faculty member can submit a request for their purchase as per Russian legislation and HSE’s internal bylaws.
If a given item cannot be purchased, as stated in an official rejection letter from the responsible HSE unit, it can be purchased out of one’s own funds.
Please make sure that you consult the responsible HSE unit and the Accounting Office before purchasing the materials.
|Research materials, equipment and services||Recommended request deadlines||Estimated request processing time||Responsible HSE Unit|
|November 1||6 weeks||HSE Library|
||Purchase: 6 weeks; delivery: 2-4 months|
||October 1||2-4 months|
|October 1||2-4 months||HSE Infromation Technology Office|
- A faculty coordinator shall send a request for purchasing required materials, equipment or services to the responsible unit at HSE (e.g. HSE Library, HSE Information Technology Office);
- The responsible HSE unit shall reply with a rejection/approval letter in regards to the purchase.
In accordance with the reply:
|Research materials, equipment or services shall be purchased via the responsible HSE unit with resources from the Research Fund. The procedure can take up to 2-4 months in compliance with procurement regulations.||Research materials, equipment or services shall be purchased with one’s personal funds and reimbursed from the Research Fund. The reimbursement process can take up to 2-4 months.|
|To formalize the procedure of the purchase:||To obtain the reimbursement, please make sure you stick to the following procedure:|
- Use a personal bank card. Also, please make sure you get an official certified bank statement;
- The maximum value of purchased materials, equipment or services that can be reimbursed comes to RUB 150,000;
- Please bear in mind that the reimbursement amount shall be taxed at 13%/30%, depending on one’s tax residency status.