• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Contract Issues


Settling-In Allowance

What is it?
This is a lump sum designed to cover expenses associated with the settling-in of an international employee into a new location.

Who is eligible?
Any tenure-track or a postdoc hire.

When is it paid?
Within 3 weeks of the work agreement coming into effect.

What documents do I need to provide to receive it?
You need to have a Russian bank account to be able to receive the settling-in allowance.

Is it taxable?
Yes. Taxes applied to this sum depend on one’s tax residency status.


*For details about the Eurasian Economic Union check up this page.
**For more information on the HQS status see the HQS Card.
HQS work permit can be annulled on a number of reasons, including absence of a foreign national on the territory of Russian Federation for 6 months and more.
***A tax resident is a citizen of any nation that has lived on the territory of the Russian Federation for at least 183 days within the last 12 months.

Taxes applied to other payments
HQS status does not automatically give an employee the right to a 13% tax rate, as applied to other payments such as settling-in allowances. Whether it is a 13% or 30% tax rate will fully depend on the tax status of the resident. A tax resident is a citizen of any nation who has lived on the territory of the Russian Federation for at least 183 days within the last 12 months. A 13% tax rate shall be applied to the income and other payments of Russian tax residents, whereas the tax rate for non-resident individuals comes to 30%.

Tax deduction and tax filing
All taxes are deducted from your salary automatically by the employer. It means that the sum you receive is your salary after taxes. It also means that you will not have to file taxes in Russia.

For further information on Insurance Contributions to the Pension Fund, Social Security Fund and Compulsory Medical Insurance Fund of the Russian Federation, Deducted from Payments to Individuals we recommend you to visit this page.

Health Insurance

International faculty at HSE, as well as their accompanying family members relocating to Russia, are provided with basic health insurance plan financed by the university. 'VSK' is the health insurance company which was selected for the year 2020 as a result of an annual competitive procurement procedure. The university has year-long contracts with insurance companies, which means that every January employees receive new health insurance policies. 

This insurance plan is valid in Russia and covers outpatient care at specific Moscow-based clinics, as well as house visits, emergency and planned hospital admission, basic dental care. The insurance policy also covers acute diseases and trauma treatment but does not include life-threatening diseases, most chronic illnesses and pregnancy-related medical care.

Outpatient treatment is provided on the basis of 'Medincentre' of the Russian Federation Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Address: 4th Dobryninsky pereulok, building 4, Moscow. Metro station 'Dobryninskaya' 

Direct phone number: 8 (499) 237 17 06 - English-speaking staff (for home visits arrangement, appointments to physicians, other specialists, including children’s appointments, doctors’ reception hours, etc.).

'VSK' 24/7 call centre: 8 (495) 785-10-57, 8(495) 727-44-44 (Moscow); 8 (800) 775-14-41, 8 (800) 200-14-41 (the call is free from anywhere in Russia)  

Please wait for an operator’s response and ask them to switch you to an English-speaking operator. Please make sure to state your name or your family member's name.

For more information about the services covered please see the file below:

Medical programs for adults and children 'VSK'

Travel abroad insurance is available under a private health insurance plan as an additional option offered by 'VSK'
free of charge.

Insured amount USD 50,000. Territory of coverage – all countries of the world. Travel abroad insurance is issued once a year and is valid during all the year. Travel abroad insurance policy can be normally issued within 5 working days. 

For issuing travel abroad insurance please complete the form and send to AGaleeva@vsk.ru.


For more information about any issues related to medical services, please visit the webpage of the Office of Staff and Students Benefits or contact Alla Pushkareva at 7 (495) 621 7078, ext. 15489apushkareva@hse.ru.

Emergency Medical Assistance

This section explains how to get emergency medical assistance both at HSE and outside of HSE. In case of a health-related issue, please make sure to inform your direct supervisor and coordinator. 

Several HSE buildings in Moscow are equipped with first-aid posts where all HSE employees can receive paramedical services. The first-aid posts are located at:

  • Room 105, Ground Floor, 20 Myasnitskaya Ulitsa
    Working hours: Monday – Friday, 10 AM – 5.30 PM;

  • Second Floor, 44 Izmaylovskoye Shosse (the building next to 33 Kirpichnaya Ulitsa)  
    Working hours: Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 8 PM.

Please remember that if you have a more serious condition than a minor injury, dizziness or a headache, we strongly recommended that you call emergency medical services (ambulance).

II. Outside of HSE (on the street, in public places, etc.)

a. Calling a state ambulance

You can call an ambulance from any location within Russia 24/7 and free of charge:

  • 103 (for calls from landline phones);
  • 112 (for calls from mobile phones).The hotline 112 has English-speaking operators.
Ambulance team provides professional medical assistance at any time, irrespective of a person’s citizenship and type of insurance policy. Normally, an ambulance team will arrive within 15-20 minutes depending on a location. All ambulance vehicles have medical equipment so that the team can provide medical assistance on the spot or take the patient to a medical institution if they are unable to immediately normalize his/her health condition.

In case of life-threatening situations, anyone admitted to public and municipal health institutions is entitled to free primary medical care (emergency medical assistance, including specialized assistance) until they are out of immediate danger. After that, if they need further medical treatment, it shall be provided for a fee. Please make sure that your insurance policy covers such expenses.

b. Private ambulance service
There are a number of private clinics in Moscow offering emergency medical assistance, and a few of them are listed below:
GMS Clinic, +7 (495) 781 5577, +7 (800) 302 5577;
European Medical Centre, +7 (495) 933 6655;
Medicina Clinic, +7 (495) 229 0003. 

c. Insurance policy

Medical services and assistance to persons temporarily residing in Russia under travel insurance or voluntary health insurance are provided in accordance with their insurance agreement, depending on the insurance premium. It is highly advisable that you carefully review your insurance contract and its terms of use, since the list of services covered, as well as medical institutions you can visit, may be subject to certain restrictions. As a rule, free medical assistance is provided at specific institutions and only after a prior arrangement with your insurance or medical services company. Therefore, please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that your expenses which have not been agreed with your insurance company shall be reimbursed. For more information about the insurance plan provided by HSE please visit the Health Insurance web-page. If you have your own insurance plan provided by any other insurance company, please follow their instructions.


HSE usually provides new tenure-track hires with free initial lodging at the HSE Guesthouse for up to 60 days. Unfortunately, accommodation for families cannot be assured; living with children is not permitted. Please note that pets are not allowed in the Guesthouse.

New employees are supposed to find a flat and move there when the period of free housing at the Guesthouse is over. English speaking real estate agencies can be found here. No additional housing subsidies are provided by HSE.